Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Gravity Filled Toilet Problems

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 11:48:10 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
I have a cabin with no domestic electricity (solar and gas generator)
so installing a pump is not possible.
The water is pumped to a holding tank at 18 feet high and then
travels by gravity to 3 sets of faucets. The problem is that the
drop does not create enough pressure to open the valve (3/8th line)
to fill the toilet adequately. Also, when it does open, it takes a
very long time to fill.
Is there a top fill toilet, like the early models that had a tank
above the toilet?

Are there any fill valves that would work better than a traditional
fill valve that is controlled by pressure.
Thanks for all you help in advance.

Pennsylvania Cabin Lover

Really old style toilet ballcock valves were operated purely by the float. The
water pressure was not needed to open the valve. They would probably work
better.

Google "low pressure toilet valve" for other ideas.

I'll go along with the old style ballcock with a float ball. But if that
dont work, you could always add a sillcock (outdoor spigot) to the pipes
near the toilet and use a short hose to just fill the toilet tank
manually.

When I moved into a house that was under construction, I did not get the
plumbing installed at first. There was just a water supply entering the
building. I was busy getting the exterior of the building completed
before winter and since I do all my own home repairs and construction, I
did not consider the plumbing a top prioroty. I just ran a garden hose
from the water supply into the bathroom, and put a valve on the end of
it, using a hose to pipe threaded adaptor. When I used the toilet, I'd
just fill the tank with the hose. That hose also filled a bucket that
I'd use to wash my hands, or fill a cup of drinking water, and so
on.....

This was not the ideal setup, but it served it's purpose until I got the
plumbing installed. It sounds like your cabin is just a weekend getaway,
not a permanent residence, so you just have to "tough it" a little. It's
still better than hauling water in a pail, or having an outhouse.

Of course there are 12VDC pumps you can buy, and run off an auto
battery. A solar charger could be rigged to the battery to charge it. A
DEEP CYCLE battery is the best for this sort of use.