Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What Ive been doing the last couple weeks.

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 6:23:11 PM UTC-8, Garrett Fulton wrote:
On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 2:45:14 PM UTC-5, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/17/2015 10:27 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 20:45:18 -0500, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 11/14/2015 2:13 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Some of you might find this interesting...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...gForgingPress#

The press itself weighs in a bit over 5 million pounds

http://www.shultzsteel.com/Equipment...spx?pg=forging

It was interesting..the entire floor of the forging shop was made of
3" thick slabs of steel..over an acre of it. They could be lifted out
for servicing the lower halves of the machines.

WOW!!! Fricken' awesome stuff.

Thought a few folks would find it interesting. I wish Id been able to
take photos when they opened an oven. Doors the size of the front of
a 2 car garage and when they opened and closed em..that end of the
mill would glow orange. They were doing a bunch of forging for
airplane parts for the gubmint. I didnt know there were that many BIG
steel parts making up the swing wing hinges and landing gear of the
big..big birds.

Id had the idea that most of an airplane is aluminum with a few steel
parts..engines and so forth. Not so!!

Do you know what they use to swing those wings? It's a thermal wax that
expands and contracts with temperature. The forces are HUGE!

Tom, do you have a website where this is described? I'm having a hard time believing it. I'm a retired airline mech. and never worked on any swing wing aircraft. Just all the big Boeings, Airbus, Lockheed etc. I did a google search and came up with nothing.

That you give it any credence shows you're a idiot. It's typical of the worthless crap Tom often posts.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-aircra...ose-on-an-F-14