Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default How to fix my 5V, 2.5amp adapter.

It's a very common failure on supplies that run 24/7 to fail to restart after a cool down period.

Get any old hair dryer and give it a nice sauna for a few minutes, then plug it back in. If it starts, it's a high ESR cap in about 95% of the time.

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 3:26:29 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 09:50:15 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/20/2015 12:43 AM, Micky wrote:
How to fix my 5V, 2.5amp adapter.

I had 4 short power failures today, and everything on the PC started
up fine after the first 3. The fourth was longer so I went grocery
shopping.

When I restarted, none of the lights on the wireless router went on,
and an ohmmeter showed infinite resistance between the two prongs that
plug into the wall. I had a surge, didn't I?

Apparently it just cooled off!

P. S. This is what's broken:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-2-5A-D-Li...3 01720248001

Bottom line...buy the new supply.

I did that. Should be here on Friday.

In the same way that planning for a vacation is almost as much fun as
the vacation, it seems yesterday planning to repair the PS was 1/3rd
the fun of actually doing it, plus I don't have a zener diode and even
the parts I do have become a little hard to find.

Problem with that one is the plug on the end is different from
most other router power supplies. Get the right one and be done with it..

They have the exact one, with the green plug showing in the photo.

I fix wall warts all the time for my own use. I'd never sell a gizmo
with a power supply that I repaired. Too much liability involved.

Most fail with shorted input diodes, but
that also blows the fuse.
I've been fixing stuff for almost half a century, but working on
line-connected
stuff still scares the hell out of me...and I've got a completely isolated
scope probe system.
Even if you do find out what's broke, where are you gonna get the
replacement part?
Putting it back together is problematic. What happens if you
try to unplug it and the glue breaks...you end up with AC in your
hands...not fun.

Look at the risk/reward ratio.
Best that can possibly happen is you save $7.50.
Worst is electrocution? burning down your house?
For stuff connected directly to the line,
if you don't know what you're doing, keep it that way.

If I did it, I'd do it right. I know what I'm doing. Not knowing which
part to replace doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing.