Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default AAA auto club

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 13:44:52 -0600, wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 13:59:38 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

The rule now is the "three second rule".

That is the time it takes for your car to reach the point where the car
ahead has just passed.

Thats too hard to figure.

True. I've tried to measure time for other reasons and it's hard, hard
to tell when a car passes a landmark, hard to know how much time has
gone by. (I've tried to learn to count off seconds accurety but i'm
not as accurate as I want.)

I like the old rule better....

Here in Delaware the law calls for 4 seconds.

Never heard anyone getting arrested for breaking it.

A while back and under cover Elsmere cop van was tailgating my wife so
she sped up to increase the distance and cop turned on siren, pulled it
over and ticketed her for speeding.

I had a cop tailgating me on a country gravel road, late at night, with
no other traffic around. I pulled over on the shoulder. Instead of
passing me, he turned on his red and blue lights and walked up to my
car. He said "are you having a problem". I said "YES... THE CAR BEHIND
ME WAS FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE AND BLINDING ME WITH HIS LIGHTS IN MY
MIRRORS".

That cop was lost for words..... He asked for my license, looked at it
quickly and told me I could leave!

LOL

At night on a two lane road a cop must have been behind me. He pulled
me over and told me I was driving badly, wobbling. I said I was
fine, no nothing to drink, and he looked at my license and left. I
had no idea what the problem was until I started up again and reached
for the M&M's I was pouring one at a time into one hand while I held
the steering wheel with the other.

So the cop really was observant .

She was too sheepish to tell me as she had a previous speeding ticket
elswhere.

Wish I had known as I'd have fought it.

I drive the speed limit on our back roads. If you want me to speed up,
you'll have to push me.

That's my policy too. Most tailgaters will continue to "ride your ass"
no matter how fast you go. Sometimes I slow way down, hoping they will
pass me. If they continue to ride my ass, I usually just pull over on
the shoulder, until they do pass. Tailgating is a pet peeve of mine. I
wish it was legal to install a flame thrower on the rear of my car!

It's not? I thought James Bond had one.