Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default AAA auto club

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 13:29:26 -0600, wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 13:36:46 -0500, Micky
wrote:

I normally follow 2 or 3 times what the "rules" say, one car length
for each 10 mph. Will it do that?

I wish more people knew this rule..... AND USED IT!

I hate tailgaters. IIRC, 1/4 or 1/3 of accidents involve them.

I've tried various things to get rid of them.

Waving my arm for them to go around doesn't work well. Even when the
top is down and they can plainly see me holding my arm up and moving
it in a circle. Even when I'm stopped on a residential street with
enough room to go around me, and I'm waving, it takes most people a 10
or 20 seconds before they go around me. (In NYC it takes 1.2
seconds.)

Turning my head around and glowering at them doesn't work, I guess
because I'm in such a hurry to look ahead again that they can't tell.

Turning on the 4-way flasher doesn't work, unless I slow down a lot
too.

Turning on the right-turn signal works best. I think it calls up a
conditioned reflex in them, because on an Xway, they could just wait
until i change lanes to the right, which I don't plan to do, but they
change lanes to the left pretty often when I put on the right-turn
signal.

I suppose slowing down a lot risks gettins shot, but I dont' think
that's happened in or around Baltimore.

Staying much farther behind than required has saved me several times,
I guess when I'm not paying adequate attention, but stiill, it's saved
me.