Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing a thermostat question?

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:16:04 -0800, T wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to replace my 30 years old thermostat
(forced air) with an electronic one that will allow
me to set the temperature based on the time of day.

Questions:

Do I need to "rewire" anything?

Pull the wire out a bit . Likely CAT 5 twisted pairs? Extra wire
wrapped around for extra in case a wire breaks or fails.

Do I presume correctly that electronic thermostats have
their own battery?

Yes. Retains memory.

And do I presume correctly that the new thermostat just
attaches to the old thermostat's relay wires?

Do you have a favorite model?

I like the ones with the 5-2 day settings for the work week and
weekend settings. Mine has an aggravating "voice" that talks to you
but I turn it off