Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NE-51 Neon Bulbs

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015, Tim Schwartz wrote:

On 11/20/2015 3:55 PM, Madness wrote:
Just acquired a bunch of these lamps. They're in the same mini-bayonet
style as lamps like the #44/47. But would anyone know if these lamps can
be connected directly to 120 volts? Or do they need a resistor, @ if so,
what value?

Hello,

While I recall that they need the dropping resistor, since you have
a bunch of them, I might try destructive testing, and break one apart to see
if there is an internal resistor or not.

Memory says they always needed a resistor, it's not about too much
voltage, but about needed a limited current. The only time they don't
need a resistor is if there is a resistor built in.

Michael