Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default AAA auto club

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 6:10:34 PM UTC-5, rumpole wrote:
Has anyone in west Texas had any luck with AAA auto club?

I'm getting to the age where I'm considering joining in case something happens when I'm away from home.

Twenty years ago I was a member for several years until I was stranded in a blizzard and needed to be towed out. They acted like they couldn't care less. I finally hung up and managed to get pulled out by a good Samaritan, after that I canceled my account.

Before I try again I thought I'd ask.

My family has had AAA since the 80's. It's an annual Christmas gift for the kids. My membership
covers 6 drivers. (The membership used to be based on the vehicle, now it's on the member
so it covers whatever car they call about). We have "shared" calls in bad years.

4 tows per year per member. I have the Plus package, so tows are up to 100 miles.

For the most part I have been extremely happy with the coverage. The latest incident, not
so much. I had a vehicle that we weren't using parked in a lot where I rent a space for my
trailer. The brake lines were shot so when I sold the car to my mechanic, we had to have
it towed to his shop. I called AAA and they gave me a 1 hour estimate, so we headed over
to the lot to unlock the gate. While we were waiting there, they called me back and told
that the driver had a "priority call" that he had to take care of first. It might be at least
another hour before he could pick up my car. Apparently, because it was Sunday, they
had limited contractors willing to work. We ended up limping the car over to a parking lot
outside of the locked lot where I had it stored, left the keys in the visor and went home.

A few hours later, I drove by his shop and it was there. I assume the "priority call" meant
someone was on the side of the road as opposed to in a parking lot, so they won. I could
have complained, but I let it go.