Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to fix my 5V, 2.5amp adapter.

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 17:50:23 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 13:03:27 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I recognize the sarcasm. ;-)

I was on the phone with a very polite but useless support personality
possibly in India. I hope you don't mind me taking out my
frustrations on you.

It never occurred to me to do that. Wow, the perfect page.
http://hardware-today.com/articles/networking_hardware/how_to_repair_power_supply_adapter_d_link_5v_2a_jt a0302d_e

Yep. I usually don't get that lucky. I recently tried to repair one
of those by replacing 3 of the caps mentioned. It didn't work. Of
course, I didn't bother searching for info until after I had given up
and recycled the power supply. Do like I say, not like I do.

That's it all right. A slightly different arrangment, but all the
same parts.

There are A through E variations. I've only seen B and C which look
like the same board layout, but built by different contractors. I
don't know if there are any component value changes or schematic
variations.

And a schematic too! I have to spend a bunch of time looking at that.

You should be able to get some theory of operation in the data sheets
and app notes for the UC3843B chip:
https://www.google.com/search?q=uc3843b
http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/CD00003930.pdf

Drivel: Here's my collection:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/
with a few wall wart repairs.

No kidding!

I don't know why I bother trying to fix those. It's certainly not
making me any money. Worse, I've accumulated a fairly large
collection of wall warts that really need to be recycled instead of
occupying space.

"One day, son, all of these perfectly good A.C. adapters, which have
long outlived the products they were originally designed for, will be
yours."
http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/120116_a16285_g2048-600.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann