Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cast iron grate repair

I just got a call from the guy I buy my compressed gasses from wanting me
to weld up some cracks in a stove grate . I'm thinking plain phosphor bronxe
filler might not take the heat , and am looking for opinions on what to use
.. Looks like my choices are Ni-99 , Ni-55 , silicon bronze . or cast iron
filler . Will CI or SB require peening , like the nickel does ? Or is
peening necessary with the part preheated to around 500°-600° ? I'll have
the grate in/on firebricks to retain the heat while I work on it or possibly
bury it in dry sand .
Which would you use ? I do know that whatever I use it's going to need
preheat and a slow cooldown . I'm thinking a nice wood fire could handle
both since I don't have anything else to preheat a piece about 11 x 13 .
He won't be bringing it for a couple of weeks , so I have time to order
some filler as soon as I decide which to use .

--
Snag