Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default HomeDepot scaffolding?

On 11/18/2015 9:04 PM, Mike wrote:
I need to (eventually) tape and bed sheetrock on the ceiling of the
place I'm renovating. I looked at Home Depot and they have a 6'
steel scaffolding on wheels (I hope the wheels are lockable) for
$199. Anyone have any experience with this item or have a better
suggestion? The sheetrock is about 13' off the deck.

I checked at one of our local HD's last night and their drywall lifts
only go to 11 ft. But, any of the 6 or 8 other "equipment rental"
places in town have 15' units:
http://www.abceqrental.com/products.php?id=529&location=&top=Products&cat=27
You'll have to decide ahead of time if you're going to stick with 12' panels
or feel ambitious enough to tackle 16 ft! : (personally, I stuck with
8' panels as they "fit" the ceiling/wall space I was doing much better -- less
cutting)

Be wary of the Harbor Freight lifts -- they are pretty flimsy. You
can visibly see the difference in quality between one of these and a "pro"
lift (from an equipment rental place).

If you opt for scaffolding, note you'll still need to lift the drywall
up *to* that level. Drywall is heavy and bulky. Nothing worse than
getting a sheet up -- only to see you've buggered the edges (and will now
be trying to patch them "upside down").

If you rent, make sure you allow enough time for the job. Unless you've
done this before, it will take you a lot longer than you expect! :

Invest in a (electric) drywall screwdriver -- it will pay for itself
almost immediately! Practice with the stilts before you put yourself
in a situation where you "can't risk falling".

If you have a bad back, be extra wary -- it's really easy to twist the
"wrong way" when you're working "upside down".

Have you thought about what sort of texture you'll apply? ("smooth"
requires a LOT of skill!)

Have fun!