Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Very OT, is this cybersquatting

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 21:30:12 -0600, IGot2P
wrote:

On 11/18/2015 4:18 PM, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 08:02:05 -0500, Micky
wrote:

In IE, I googled the business of a friend of mine, to get his work
phone number.

First came two paid ads, which varied.

Let me try to be more clear.

Then the next entry was of the form acmesupply.net and it was a

^^^^^^^

The entry was "of the form" acmesupply.net. http://acmesupply.net

My friend's url is of the form http://www.acmesupply.net

If someone is www.name.net , is it permitted for someone else to have
name.net?

No, is the answer to your question but there is some missing and
confusing information in your post.

Exactly. It's confusing how the search leads to a page not related to
the search.

We own a computer business and also
own MANY domain names so I do know I bit about the subject. To satisfy
your curiosity may I suggest that you simply point your browser to
http://www.netim.com/domain-name/whois-search.html and search for the
domain name of your friend. The resulting info will show who actually
owns it, etc.

Okay, I did that, and he's listed as the owner, complete with his full
name, POB and suburban town. I would have looked up acmesupply
without the www, but WWW is hard-coded in front of the URL box on that
page.

Thanks, and if I didn't say it, thanks all.

I could contact that sneaker site, but I doubt they'll know what to do
or be willing to spend much time doing it, especially since if
anything it brings them a teeny tiny bit of more business.

And google doesn't even have an email address.

Though I did complain strongly about the new format of google maps, on
their on-the-map comment box, and I don't read my gmail, but I finally
read it and they replied on topic and really did get rid of the boxes
that annoyed me, just like I asked. (and probably millions of others
did too.)