Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Very OT, is this cybersquatting

Micky wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 08:02:05 -0500, Micky
wrote:

In IE, I googled the business of a friend of mine, to get his work
phone number.

First came two paid ads, which varied.

Let me try to be more clear.

Then the next entry was of the form acmesupply.net and it was a

^^^^^^^

The entry was "of the form" acmesupply.net. http://acmesupply.net

My friend's url is of the form http://www.acmesupply.net

If someone is www.name.net , is it permitted for someone else to have
name.net?

His url is about his trade and his business, which has nothing to do
with sneakers.

I'm not going to post my friend's url without discussing it with him
first, and the question is whether there is any point to telling him
about this at all. It will just annoy him to know about this if it
can't be changed.

page that sold fancy sneakers. They have an enormous selection, many
brands, almost all between 86 and 90 a pair. Yet the google entry
had my friend's businsess's suburban town, zipcode, and phone number.

If I tell him about this, will he be able to get the shoe site to
change its url? It sort of looks like he is selling sneakers, which
makes his very professional business look amateurish. OTOH, will the
average google user really think the page is his?

Should I tell him about this?

Is there any reason you would not?