Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 20:45:05 -0800, DaveC wrote:

I have forty years experience in designing and building machine tool,
robotic and automations systems. Whenever I require a cable that might be
exposed to oil or coolant contamination, or will encounter high rates of
flexing I only specify Olflex. It's more expensive than most, but a lot
less expensive than failure and replacement.

I appreciate that this is, enviably, wonderful cable. But it comes in minimum
size of 20 awg. If only it met all my requirements.

My need is for a hand-controller (think Atari joystick)–carrying milliamps.
20 awg is overkill at the expense of weight, diameter, and (arguably) greater
flexibility.

Thanks.

The Alpha products go down to 26AWG ~ typical of com cables, with
twisted pair varieties. It's kind of difficult to determine the guages
in the Olflex info, due to notation method in product tables, but I'm
pretty sure they'll offer the same thing. By the way, PVC=Vinyl, oil
and chemical resistant or otherwise.

RL