Posted to alt.home.repair
Cal Dershowitz Cal Dershowitz is offline

Default demoing fiberglass shower pan with cast iron drain

On 11/17/2015 8:18 PM, wrote:
If you are not getting sewer gas smells with the pan removed, there is probably a trap located somewhere downstream from where you are working. So, you just need to get a reasonably clean connection to the drain below the pan.

Never smelled a whiff of sewer there. It makes me wonder how deep the
main drain is going out to the street. Maybe I should look for cleanouts
to figure it out.
Since you will not be flushing any solids down, you have a little less stringent demands on your connections. Since the volume of water is relatively slow and steady when someone is using the shower, if it was my shower pan, I would use PVC pipe and lots of glue and silicone rubber to get a waterproof connection. If there are bends and twists in the PVC pipe to get the connection, I would not be too worried because of the kind of use.

Good points. This might be the easiest thing to plumb in a house.
--
Cal