Sam Goldwasser

Default Panasonic CD-Player SL-S120 help with realignment

(Rainer F. Daltrop) writes:

Hi
I am doing a charity repair of Panasonic portable CD-Player SL-S120
and need some data for realignment procedure. Poor thing came in with
all controls severely tampered; Wiper on VCC adj pot gone, alignment
screws on optical pickup were tightened, yet Laser power adj seems
untouched.
Fault found and repaired was open tracking coil; one suspension wire
at lens assy had broken free.
I managed to replace the destroyed pot and without service data
adjusted VCC (voltage after the stepup regulator) to 3.3V (wiper
slightly below midrange of VCC control range; 3V - 4V). I readjusted
the mechanical tilt of the lens to enable tracking and focus but the
Unit skips track occasionally and is very susceptive to even slightest
movements.
Could anyone look up the VCC setting on that model and enlighten me if
there is a simple way to adjust the mechanical alignment of the lens
assy? Any procedure that can be followed without special Test-Disc? If
I set mechanical alignment to produce maximum voltage of the eye
pattern (with laser power untouched) the skipping of tracks gets
better, but the unit gets more susceptive to vibrations.

Does reducing VCC to say 3 V make any difference? My guess is that it isn't
a VCC issue. I assume you've cleaned the lens and any other optics you
can get at?

How do you know laser power pot is untouched?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.