Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Grounding an Antenna Mast

wrote in message

Anyhow, I never really grounded this mast, and think I should. That 10"
buried into the soil is not really a suitable ground. One of the ground
rods for my house's electrical system is only about 8 feet from the
mast, so I can run a wire to that. My problem is how to connect that
wire to the conduit. The commercial ground rod clamps are not big enough
to go around that conduit. I thought about clamping it with a stainless
steel hose clamp, but that's not the best connection. A muffler clamp os
my other thought, but the way they rust, I'd almost think a S.S. hose
clamp would be the better if the two. I suppose I could also drill a
hole in the conduit and put a bolt thru is, but I'd prefer to not weaken
the conduit with a hole.

Maybe some of you will have a better idea about what to use to clamp it.
I'll probably use #8 or #10 bare copper wire for this, or insulated,
depending on what I have laying around.

Ideally, I think a Stainless Steel muffler type clamp would be best, if
I could find such a thing.

Maks sure the copper wire is not agaisnt the EMT. It should be used with a
clamp that has a seperate screw for the wire. Copper and stainless is ok.