Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Can you melt and cast polyethylene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 19:21:02 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

William Bagwell fired this volley in
:

Much more receptive to small runs when things are slow.

Maybe "more receptive", but what would be the cost of a custom mold?

Don't kid me! I was IN that business. I know what (domestically-made)
molds cost! G

Lloyd

Yes, injection (and blow) molds are very expensive. When I worked at
Evenflo was told one of my two cavity bottle molds was probably the
least expensive mold in the plant at $20,000! Multi (24 - 36) cavity
injection mold that could mold threads and 'unscrew' before ejecting
might be a quarter million. Pretty sure this included the
thermolator which could send coolant at different temperatures to
various places in the mold. In some cases the mold cost twice what
the machine it ran on cost.

Rotomolding tooling is an order of magnitude cheaper since there is
little or no pressure involved. Cast aluminum and weldments, steel
or aluminum are the norm. Only seen one machined from solid rotomold
and it was extremely small. Out of time...
--
William