Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Converting Average Power to "RMS Power"

"You are all wrong about those amps for cars. All you need to pull 400
amps from 60 watt 14 volt alternator is 4 gauge oxygen free gold
plated Litz wire. Don't be fooled by claims that other than Litz wire
can be used. And the gold must be 26 carat, that 24 carat stuff just
won't pass the current without high losses.
Airick "

So you are well versed in new math. How's them boffo low unemployment numbers and non-existent inflation !

Late 1970s and thereabout I used to build car amps. The design was like the mindblower amps but without the problems. The original amps would fry an output which would catch on fire and burn the cone of the speaker. I didn't care, all I wanted was the driver transformer. I found output chokes in old tube amps. Anything that had 4, 8 AND 16 ohm taps was fair game for me. I bet I scrapped some valuable amps, I mean maybe could retire on today.

Basically push pull with the center tapped output choke, one output would pull to the 12 volt rail and the action of the choke sent the other side to negative 12 volts or as close as possible depending on the efficiency of the transformer.

Theoretically that is 24 volts peak which by the math gets you about 30 REAL watts per channel. Not really efficient either, the ten amp fuses would blow from fatigue maybe once a month.

But it blew people's speakers. They say "How is that possible, these things are rated 90 watts each" to which I replied "Well these are OMWs, Old Marantz Watts". I went on to tell then that these amps 30 WPC is like the 30 WPC in your house stereo. And that was alot for a car. Remember, most people were listening to 2½ WPC, or if they were lucky, 9 WPC.

The BTL outputs had about 8.99 WPC, the single ended choke output DElcos did anywhere from 5 WPC to maybe 7 or so depending on how they're biased. The ones with the big ass DS-501 (IIRC) transistors came closer to the 9 WPC but really, the THD got pretty high being single ended.

Hmm, I bet the people who like tube sound and will discard a nice ass Sansui solid state amp for a single ended 6BQ5 based amp would really like the sound of those old Delcos.

Later, Delco got their **** together and threw together some really nice radios. Excellent everything, the DM-165 and high output chips with dynamic power limiting, and then IIRC the DM-185 had the power limiting independent for each of the FOUR channels. Made it sound a hell of alot better. And the tuners were unparalleled, seriously. If I want s tuner for in my house I want one of them. Pick up a stick in the mud from China, in ****ing stereo ! And the cassette decks were good as well, with one variety in the higher end cars built by Blaupunkt. (type "D" they called it) Also, the ones with the EQ built in had the low and high controls still as normal bass and treble, which is how I think it should be and have modified EQs to be like that.

Now that I think of it, there are a few EQs out there I modified that should have the frequencies relabeled. Anyone ogt a Dymo label maker ? LOL