Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default garage door opener wont work

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 21:59:06 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

Liftmaster Formula I.

When I hit the button the motor makes noise but the belt doesn't
move. The door moves on the track freely when I lift it manually.
Examining the belt I see the rubber has separated near the motor and
only the steel belts are visible. There is maybe an inch or two of
slack in the belt when I pull on it. This belt seems to be the
problem to my untrained eye. Is this something I can fix on my own?

Here are some pictures:

Internal gear
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4R...d2ZlpvZEk/view

Belt
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4R...JfcmVqeEk/view

Looks like the gear is stripped and the belt is bad. How can I
diagnose the motor?

Okay, I took the belt off and the plastic gear assembly. The motor
drives just fine and the worm gear seems to be fine too. The gear was
totally dry with no grease on it.

I ordered the replacement parts for my Liftmaster 1280R. Hopefully
this works.

Gear and internal guts $13.90:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f _sc_p_img_2

19' belt $56.70:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f _sc_p_img_4

Looks like you have a plan. Now execute it