Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Converting Average Power to "RMS Power"

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 08:20:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Well, we drive on parkways and park on driveways. the macula in your eye used to be called the fovea. Double density floppy disks had half the capacity or the high density disks.

Chalk it up to that.

Other than that "RMS power", no matter how nonexistant, is;

V * 0.707 ^ 2 / R

Might **** you off, but hey, what does a five pound can of coffee weigh these days ? And they say you can use less, bull****. Do that and you'll be drinking dishwater. You are not supposed to see through coffee. And lowfat milk, no thanks, I got water. Go ahead "Oh they don't just add water", damn right, they are selling what they take out of it. Kinda like salt, they make more money from what they refine out of the salt than the salt itself.

This mythical RMS power is the result of the FTC trying to put a lid on ridiculous power claims back in the 1970s. It only has any real teeth when the power is stated in a certain way. Thye can rate a unit 2,000 watts on a 2 amp fuse, as long as they do not claim it as an actual, legal power rating. Note that the regulations do not apply to commercial or auto equipment, or to other than the front two main channels of a surround amp.

Now there are commercial amps lying their (_|_) off about power. Says 1,000 watts and I get into it and there is a little TO-220-15 package IC with a fan on it smaller than the one in my PC.

Same with cars. Do you really think they are 5,000 watts ? At 100 % efficiency it would have to pull over 400 amps. Even my 12 : 1 455 luxury racecar engine with a sloppy timing chain didn't pull that to start hot. For a car battery, 400 amps is a "cold cranking amps" rating. And alternators ? Change one lately ? They cannot handle anywhere near the current they used to, it is right on the box "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHARGE A DEAD BATTERY AS PERMANENT DAMAGE WILL OCCUR, CHARGE BATTERY BEFORE USING ALTERNATOR. What ? Know what that means ? That means if you leave your light on and need a jumpstart, it might wreck your "new and improved" alternator. And that suits "them" just fine. (I think I prefer the old and ****ty ones that worked reliably)

Now some of these guys DO have a second battery and alternator just for the amps, but still. Does anyone even know the gauge of wire needed to conduct 400 amps ? They got fat wires in them cars but not that fat.

So there is a formula for it though it does not exist. Well, neither does the square root of -1.

You are all wrong about those amps for cars. All you need to pull 400
amps from 60 watt 14 volt alternator is 4 gauge oxygen free gold
plated Litz wire. Don't be fooled by claims that other than Litz wire
can be used. And the gold must be 26 carat, that 24 carat stuff just
won't pass the current without high losses.
Airick