Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Converting Average Power to "RMS Power"

wrote in message
Well, we drive on parkways and park on driveways. the macula in your eye
used to be called the fovea. Double density floppy disks had half the
capacity or the high density disks.

Chalk it up to that.

Other than that "RMS power", no matter how nonexistant, is;

V * 0.707 ^ 2 / R

Might **** you off, but hey, what does a five pound can of coffee weigh
these days ? And they say you can use less, bull****. Do that and you'll be
drinking dishwater. You are not supposed to see through coffee. And lowfat
milk, no thanks, I got water. Go ahead "Oh they don't just add water", damn
right, they are selling what they take out of it. Kinda like salt, they make
more money from what they refine out of the salt than the salt itself.

This mythical RMS power is the result of the FTC trying to put a lid on
ridiculous power claims back in the 1970s. It only has any real teeth when
the power is stated in a certain way. Thye can rate a unit 2,000 watts on a
2 amp fuse, as long as they do not claim it as an actual, legal power
rating. Note that the regulations do not apply to commercial or auto
equipment, or to other than the front two main channels of a surround amp.

Now there are commercial amps lying their (_|_) off about power. Says 1,000
watts and I get into it and there is a little TO-220-15 package IC with a
fan on it smaller than the one in my PC.

There seems not to be any real standard for audio power.

Someone needs to define a standrd something like input a sine wave into the
amp and get so much RMS volts (undistorted or a % distortion) across a
resistive load for a period of time like 60 seconds. Do that at several
frequencies across the audio range with one being the lowest and another the
highest frequency the amp is rated for.

The 5 pound bag of sugar is now 4 pounds and the 2x4 boards seem to be
srinking along with the thickness of plywood. A number of years ago I
bought some "2x4"s and nails that just would not go all the way through them
when the 2" sides were layed on top of each other. A while back I bought
some new 2x4s and the same nalis went through by about 1/16 of an inch.

Mother had recipeas that called for a can of something. Now the size of the
cans are smaller and difficult to convert so a cake comes out the same.