Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default New job

On 11/15/15 10:28 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/14/2015 12:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm entertaining the idea of getting a track saw. However, if they
don't produce a finished quality cut, that knowledge would help me
make the decision to go with a cheaper track saw.

As Leon said, nothing to do with the quality of cut, which is
excellent with a Festool plunge cut track saw.

The value of a fixed fence on a table saw, set once and used to batch
cut all like dimensions before moving it, is hard to beat for
precision production woodworking.

Festool has this parallel guide rail system in the photo below, which
will come close to accomplishing the same thing, but are a bit fussy
in initial set up, and require diligence when using to maintain your
settings. (you can see the small aluminum, support bars I've
retrofitted to each guide stop to help in that regard).

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...2 57557388034

Still, quite sufficient for onsite use where most portable table saws
won't give you the precision, or the repeatability.

You should send that pic to Festool. I'm quite surprised, with their
engineering prowess, that they didn't incorporate those support bars on
the guide stops.

I like the design of the rails being on the edges of the plywood to keep
the saw guide square to the stock, but surely they could see that the
whole thing would want to tip down if not being used on a large table top.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--