Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage door opener wont work

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:50:21 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:28:46 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman
wrote:

Liftmaster Formula I.

When I hit the button the motor makes noise but the belt doesn't move. The
door moves on the track freely when I lift it manually. Examining the belt
I see the rubber has separated near the motor and only the steel belts are
visible. There is maybe an inch or two of slack in the belt when I pull on
it. This belt seems to be the problem to my untrained eye. Is this
something I can fix on my own?

Are you just saying you have a bad belt? With the door disconnected
from the trolley, can you move the driven pulley? (making the trolley
move)

No, I can't move the belt by hand. Should I be able to? It's still
attached to the motor and gear at the other end.

Look at the trolley and be sure it is not jammed into the back end.
You can take the belt off to break the tie but if it is loose you
should be able to see if it is the motor or the driven pulley that is
locked up.
My bet is the trolley missed the stop switch and crashed into the
bumper so hard it jammed. Sometime you can rock the door while someone
hits "go down" and break it loose.