Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default New job

On 11/14/2015 6:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/14/15 4:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/14/2015 2:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/14/15 1:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/14/2015 12:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/14/15 12:34 PM, Leon wrote:
how much do the sheets weigh they sounds heavy

In the 65lb each range, typical for cabinet quality or paint
grade plywood.

do you use the track saw or the table saw to cut them

To get them down to workable size I use the track saw, then the
TS. I also use the track saw to straighten S2S lumber before
cutting on the TS, when I buy S2S.

I would appreciate further explanation for this. Is it because the
track saw doesn't yield finish quality results or is it just your
preference to finish cut on the table saw?

The track saw produces cuts equal to the TS so no, the quality of cut
is not the reason for going to the TS. In fact often at least one
edge on a piece was cut by the track saw. The TS offers a
consistency with its fixed fence that moving the track for each cut
does not afford. This is important when every thing must be precice.
I do have the Festool track positioning guides, thanks again
Swingman, but they tend to be a lot of work to set up. If I had a
lot of sheets to break down with the track saw the positioning guides
would be used. Wish I had that set up about 7~8 years ago when
Swingman sent me home with 27 sheets of plywood to cut for the two
kitchens that we built.

I'm entertaining the idea of getting a track saw. However, if they
don't produce a finished quality cut, that knowledge would help me
make the decision to go with a cheaper track saw.

The Festool track saws come with a standard blade, a quality blade
but not the best for cutting plywood. IIRC Swingman and I both have
plywood blades for our Festool Track saws.

IMHO that set up does not disappoint.

With that in mind, and I have mentioned this before, if you are
looking at Festool, there is the TS75 and TS55. The bigger is the
TS75 and considerably more expensive than the TS55. BUT to rip the
length of standard sheet of plywood you need an additional track and
couplings to join the additional track to the track that comes with
the saw. The difference in price of the saws shrunk to about $100 for
me as the additional shorter track was much less expensive than the
longer track. Basically the TS55 saw comes with a 55" track, the TS75
comes with a 75" track.

Thanks for that info, it is very helpful.
I also fear using 2-part guides as they seem to *never* go together
*perfectly* straight. Now, the ones I've attempted to use haven't been
green in color, but I still get weary of spending that kind of green
(PUN!) when the cut line might be a tad off. And when I say tad, I'm
talking any fraction of an inch. To me, if it's not *perfectly*
straight, it's not straight at all.

LOL. actually......

Swingman and I both have one of these. $100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6F97WFYwkU

Swingman and I both have one of these.

Or if you need an excuse to get a 6' level.

I don't see that Betterly sells the alignment tool anymore. Some thing
to check on.

Still Festool does make very long rails....

I would certainly get that when and if I get track saw. Nice!
I have a 6' level and it has a bow in the middle.
I'm guessing it was either designed to be used with masonry or as....
wait... for.. it.....
A CAUL! HAHAHAHA!!!

Have I mentioned the special wax? ;~)