Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Cold sun rising

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:24:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 11:20:26 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

Not really. It is your opinion that the 97 % has got the theory right. It is my opinion that they still have a way to go. But all opinion.

Dan

No, you're making the same mistake that the deniers make. You're
saying that fewer than 1 in 30 scientists are as likely to be right as
the 29 who say they're wrong.

That's irrational. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of
using your head.

--
Ed Huntress

You really ought to pay attention to what people actually say and not to what you think they are saying.

I could say the same to you, Dan.

The statistics about 97% and 3 % is about opinions.

Bull****. Those are NOT opinions. Those are conclusions based on
measured scientific facts. Some of them are wrong. Which ones, Dan?
The 97%? Or the 3%?

97 % of the scientists have the opinion ( Not fact ) that global warming constitutes a real threat. Only 3 % are not sure.

No they're not. The 3% are the ones who say that humans have "little
or no influence" on global warming. Note that they don't deny global
warming is going on, unlike Sentaor Snowball of Oklahoma.

I am not saying that the odds are equal. I am saying that I think there is some possibility that the 3 % might be right and that in time we will have a better idea of what the facts are.

Sure we will. Maybe when we're all toasty and swimming for shore. g

I have no idea of where you got the idea that I ever said anything about the odds of who is right. Try to read what I say.

I didn't say you said anything about it. I said that was your mistake:
It's a statistical question, a question of likelihoods, and you
erroneously think it's a matter of opinion.

It has nothing to do with opnions. Opinions are what the people have
who don't know all the facts. That's probably 99% of the people in the
country.

I have no opinion about it. I do have a recognition of the statistical
probabiities about who is right. And I don't bet my life on odds that
are against me by 30:1. That's for fools.

Use your head.

I do. You should do more of it yourself. Your logic has been slipping
lately.

--
Ed Huntress