Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cold sun rising

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 4:36:06 PM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

In my opinion this subject is still a matter of opinion, not fact.

That's because you don't know the facts, and you have no way to
evaluate them.

Until someone comes up with a model that agrees with the actual data, it is still an opinion.

No. You're misstating the nature of statistical models.

Even when someone has a model that agrees with the actual data, it is still a theory. Einstein's Theory of Relativity is a theory, even though many experiments have be made that show the experiment agrees with the Theory.

Dan

Theories are not opinions. Theories are based on facts.

--
Ed Huntress

Sorry but I still disagree. If everything is facts as you believe, there would not still be scientists mulling over the data. When things are well known and understood , there are not people studying in the field. Ohms law is an example. It is well known and there are no studies being conducted to verify the results. No government grants to study Ohms law. Lots of government grants to study climate warming.

Theories are based on facts and conjectures. Take the Big Bang Theory. Part observation , part conjecture.

Dan