Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Trying to get the most out of a charger.

"Micky" wrote in message
I need a DC power supply, bigger than what I've got. Any reason why I
can't connect two automobile battery chargers in parallel to suply the
same vehicle?

Let's say one puts out 13.8 volts and the other 14.2. Is the first
one really going to be a load on the second?

What happens if they are both connected to a discharged lead acid
battery that's now putting out 4 or 8 volts**? Won't that lower the
voltage of the 14.2 charger to where it's not backcharging the 13.8
charger? And won't the battery charge at rate of the sum of the two
chargers, 2 (or 10) amps and 10 amps?

Way back when some power stations in the UK produced DC mains - some people
charged their car battery by putting it in series with an electric fire.

These days; you need a pretty hefty bridge rectifier.