Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hinge update

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 07:41:23 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

A few days ago I posted about putting bushings in worn hinges for a '54('55
?) Lincoln restoration . Well , I picked up the other 3 and got them home -
the first was a piece of cake - and tried to remove the pins . TRIED being
the operative word here . Tap on the end of the pin and ... nothing , so
smack it a little harder and ... nothing . OK , get a bigger hammer , and a
punch since the end of the pin is beginning to deform and ... nothing . OK ,
put a little oil on them and let them sit while I machine a slug with a pin
on one end to try pressing them out . 12 ton jack in a homemade frame , and
I used every ounce it had . Result is the pin on the end of the slug now
looks like a little teeny barrel , it was so cute !

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Heat and a pin of better
steel had the same result ... so I decided to see if a chisel under the head
would do anything , and discovered that at least 2 had broken pins . I did
manage to drill one of the broken ones out ...
So I called my guy and told him this ain't working , can he get some
hinges from the donor car and see if they're any easier . He does , and then
tells me these difficult hinges have been sitting half a mile from the beach
out in California for the last 20 years ... no wonder they're frozen ! I've
got 2 more to do now , plan to get them out this AM and get them delivered .

Is the client Chinese, and did he give you the Chinese curse?

May you live in interesting times.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.