Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Trying to get the most out of a charger.

On 11/12/2015 11:48 PM, Micky wrote:

Given the way chargers are usually wire, will setting the charger on
10 amps provide more starting power than setting it on 2 amps? I
would have assumed the answer was yes, but the ammeter went to 10 amps
even in the 2 amp setting.

And before anyone brings it up, I've been testing the kick starter
too, and the ignition and fuel systems. I'm making mulitples tests,
in order to test all the systems. Before I recommend spending money
on a battery and a couple other parts.

The open circuit voltage of a charger means next to nothing.

The only problem I can see is that most chargers today are automatic and
need to sense battery voltage before they turn on.

If the battery voltage is too low, the charger will not even turn on so
a non-automatic charger would need to be used to get the current flowing.

If the battery is /extremely/ low I've seen situations at work where
we'd have to put the battery on a variable charger and crank the voltage
quite high in order to get the charging process started...then after a
very short time switch the battery over to a conventional charge.

(As you probably know by now I was in the industrial battery business)

At any rate I don't recommend putting two chargers in parallel but on
the other hand I don't see that it would hurt anything just as long as
you disconnected one once the battery got close to 80% charged.

NOTE: To avoid a spark and explosion do not disconnect while under power