default

Default Vampire Appliances

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:41:42 +0000 (UTC), Ian Stirling
wrote:

In sci.electronics.misc default wrote:
snip
Power saving number two was to start cleaning the compressor coils on
the fridge once a year.

I've found a significant saving can also be to add a tiny AC fan across
the fridge motor, if it's not very well ventilated, to keep hot air from
pooling.

I did that with a small fridge I used for beer. Wired a receptacle to
come on when the compressor did and used cheap 6" desk fans to cool
coils.
Also, a couple of inches of insulation foam on each side of the fridge can
cut its energy use significantly.

I have a hotpoint (will never buy another) the coils are under the
unit. A fan draws air across them from floor level (and every bit of
dust it can suck in) and deposits the dust on the coils. Most of the
heated air is ejected from the front adjacent to where it sucks it in,
passing the drip tray on the way.

Cleaning coils is a matter of shutting it off, pushing bottles towards
the back of the shelves, pulling the refer forward and tipping it back
at a 45 degree angle then getting down there with a brush, damp rags,
vacuum cleaner, and air compressor. My girlfriend has an Amana with
the coils just under the outside skin, lot of surface area, no way for
dust to clog them up. Seems like the way to do it to me.