Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How much toilet paper do you use in 10 years?

On 11/11/2015 8:43 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 9:36:11 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

TP is cheap. TP doesn't require any demo/construction labor.
TP doesn't need maintenance. Payments for TP can be spread out
over the time you use it (instead of a lump sum up front).

I think bidet is a cultural/personal preference issue. What do you
do if she later decides she doesn't like the sensation? Plumb
a toilet immediately adjacent to the bidet (and pay to modify the
soil stack??)

You stated it very well. There would be the added cost
of a dryer or added cost of laundry if you plan on using
hand towels every time your butt gets a washing. Or you
could just buy some of those pre-moistened cleaning towels,
such as used for babies (baby wipes). Those would be a
heck of a lot cheaper than a bidet.

Well, some of my tongue-in-cheek arguments are a bit specious.
E.g., TP requires a *toilet* and that toilet requires maintenance,
etc.

Over the years, we've encountered them in various upscale hotels.
And, a "love retreat" where they were used to clean up from
"other" activities.

But, I think they are the sort of thing that you either grow
up with or not. E.g., we have a dishwasher and still wash most of
our dishes by hand -- old habits die hard (especially when
those habits become *intimate*!)

You also have to consider how guests (and future homeowners) will
take to them. E.g., if I put a *urinal* in my bathroom, I'm sure
the male visitors would have no problem "adapting" -- and chuckling
about the encounter! OTOH, a bidet might scare some folks away...