Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Does anyone run cable tv wire through the house anymore?

On 11/09/2015 06:31 PM, wrote:
Hello all. Finishing my basement. My wife wants a 50+" tv on the
basement wall ..."whenever I'm done." We're NOT trying to make a
"media screening room" with perfect seating and acoustics. Just a
big tv with some comfy sofas.

My question is, is it worth the effort to extend the cable tv wire to
this location from the main floor tv/cable/dvr box? Or are today's
tvs and perhaps a dvr box upgrade so fantastic that I can just as
well do everything via my local wifi network in the house? I haven't
stayed current with the latest A/V tech and I just don't want to go
through all the trouble to run the cable wire for nothing.

Related follow up question: my wife wants surround-sound and is
asking me to install speakers in the walls and ceiling. Is this sort
of thing done anymore? or strictly a 1990's thing? Again, I don't
want to install something that is obsolete or even regrettable.

Experienced opinions greatly appreciated. Online references and
guides appreciated too. Thanks Theodore

Yes, of course. When I moved (back) to cable internet last year, I
routed a cable under the house from the j-box, and ending up coming out
of a wall plate to feed the modem. The cable company had originally
strung the cable around the outside of the house, and done a rather
****-poor job at it, and I ended up removing it in the interim.

Should the time come when I no longer need it, the amount of work to
snip the cable and spackle up the hole in the wall is trivial.

Jon