Roy J. Tellason

Default Switching Power Supply Failure

Asimov wrote:

"W. Curtiss Priest" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Oct 03 14:43:59)
--- on the heady topic of " Switching Power Supply Failure"

WCP From: "W. Curtiss Priest"

WCP Technical Note
WCP W. Curtiss Priest
WCP
WCP October 6, 2003
WCP Subject: Switching Power Supply Failure
[,,,]
WCP Repair a switching power supply

WCP Preface:

WCP While this repair story is about a fifteen year old
WCP VCR, the proceedure is one to follow for everything
WCP from PC power supplies to Audio CD to DVD players.

What a nice happy ending! While this is not supposed to be a Pekinpah
movie script, it didn't have our hero riding off into the sunset. :-(
Only on the usenet! :-)

Thanks!

Asimov
******

... Over a hundred billion electrons were used in crafting this tagline.

Only trouble is, it doesn't always work out that way. We had one, similar
setup, mimimal heatsinking, etc. and a blown fuse and shorted transistor.
Replacing the fuse and transistor resulted in both blowing again. I then
heard about an outfit ("Studio Somthingorother", ask me if you want me to
look it up) that offered a "rebuild kit" for this and a lot of other models
of VCRs. For less than $20 delivered, I got this kit that contained new
caps, diodes, resistors, and a bunch of other parts. It was rather tedious
to go through replacing all of that, but I'm glad I did as that VCR worked
right off when I plugged it in and is still working fine, 5+ years later.