Posted to alt.home.repair
Chiily Willy Chiily Willy is offline

Default Thermometer accuracy?

On 11/09/2015 01:10 PM, KenK wrote:
I just bought a new Accurite indoor/outdoor thermometer to try to get
accurate readings. It differed by 2 deg at about 40 this morning with a few
year old identical thermo. Yesterday I put those two, an ancient home
thermo and a refrigerator thermo (all I had) side by side at about 70. The
readings varied from 67 to 74. Is this about par for the course? I'd really
like to find one I can believe. I've had bad luck with Accurite digitsl
thermos and wind indicators in the past so didn't try another one.

Sugestions or is it hopeless to expect more than 2 to 3% accuracy? Or
perhaps I shouldn't care?

You want accuracy? Stop buying thermometers from McBigBoxSuperWareHouseStore.

Buy a NIST traceable lab thermometer from Amazon.