Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 10:31:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Stainless steel drilling is testing so use a quality cobalt drill with a quality coolant and use the right drill speed, start small and work upwards. ive used ttp hard drills with success they also sell a desent coolant

I screwed the pooch on the first hole on a stainless box I drilled out
for casters. I didn't have a good position so I couldn't get much feed
pressure on the bit. Luckily, it was a small bit, and a larger one
with mucho downfeed fixed it (blew through the hardened area) I was
able to get serious with the rest and all went well. It didn't hurt
the TiN coated bits.

Serious downfeed pressure, cutting oil, and the proper bit speed are
the 3 tips I would give to anyone. (Having a sharp bit is a 'given')

Some day, I'll put that new idler bearing in my drill press. sigh

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.