Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 10:31:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Stainless steel drilling is testing so use a quality cobalt drill with a quality coolant and use the right drill speed, start small and work upwards. ive used ttp hard drills with success they also sell a desent coolant

The most important thing is the KEEP THE DRILL CUTTING. Don't let it
"skate" I like using the power feed drill press on stainless - so I
can't do that at home. If I have any serious stainless drilling to dio
I take it to the hangar unless it is something I can do in my lathe -
like drilling the center of a stainless steel bolt. Then I just use
the power carriage feed to pull the tailstock, with the drill in the
chuck. or just crank the quill feed on the tailstock by hand.