Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Drilling through stainless 3/8" steel bolt

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 2:58:22 PM UTC-5, Shade Tree Guy wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 10:00:09 PM UTC-7, Deodiaus wrote:

Well, it just got worse. I got a new bit and drilled a 1/8 pilot hole. The guy at HD talked me into getting a screw extractor. Well, ****, the screw extractor snapped off the tip and is now lodged in my pilot hole!!

Oh yeah.
The old "Easy Out" (talk about false advertising)
They're never easy and usually won't get it out
On steel bolts, I've taken to using reverse cobalt drill buts.
If yur lucky, only takes about one per frozen/broken bolt
& ya gotta drill dead center thru the bolt. (not that easy)

Maybe even harder now that there's part of screw extractor stuck in the bolt.