Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 17:52:06 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:46:00 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders
transformers for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was
completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or something?

yes because it's only one coil - with a tap somewhere near the middle (to
get 120V)

I guess they're more for smaller step downs? Because most are like 240V
to 12V, where the output needs more current so a thicker coil.

Anyone with even half a clue doesn't use transformers for those anymore.

I do if one is lying around.

--
They say that when a man holds a woman's hand before marriage, it is
love; after marriage it is self-defense.