Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:26:07 -0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:48:44 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders transformers
for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

Of course it's isolating. That refers to the design of transformer.

Hmmmm, isolating from the mains perhaps. I assumed isolating was completely isolated, as in floating.

Using an auto transformer

Oh is that what they're called, I call those Variacs. Very useful.

Vsriacs have a variable ouput. Autotransfomers can be fixed.

Seems pointless. Are they cheaper than two separate coils or something?

--
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.