Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 08:57:57 -0000, harry
wrote:

On Saturday, 7 November 2015 19:27:13 UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 19:12:57 -0000,
wrote:

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 4:42:25 PM UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
I looked this up, I'm asking the question at the top. The replies
don't seem to be able to agree. Any sensible opinions?

http://electronics.stackexchange.com...e-mains-supply

--
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!

Because mains is an AC system, there is no such thing as a totally
isolated system. There is always some capacitance between the
conductors and earth which all adds up.

Why do builders have isolating transformers then?

They are 110 volts, centre tapped to earth so there is 55 volts to earth.

Then we could have centre tapped 240V, like the yanks do.

They don't earth their center tap.