Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 08:51:24 -0000, harry wrote:

On Saturday, 7 November 2015 19:07:06 UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 18:14:59 -0000, harry wrote:

On Saturday, 7 November 2015 16:42:25 UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I looked this up, I'm asking the question at the top. The replies don't seem to be able to agree. Any sensible opinions?

http://electronics.stackexchange.com...e-mains-supply

--
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!

It is important when electrical equipment/appliances have metal cabinets which can be earthed. Which was everything years ago.
Without an earth, ant fault to the cabinet could not be detected and would be dangerous if there were other earth faults.
Also get over certain capacitance effects.

Two faults is unlikely. One fault would of course not shock you at all. Most shocks are an exposed live to an earth, isolating the mains would remove that possibility altogether, and not change the amount of shocks between live and neutral.

--
H lp! S m b d st l ll th v w ls fr m m k yb rd!

Nearly all accidents occur when two unlikely factors coincide.

But it's very unlikely. Funny how double sockets are rated at 20A. The chances of two 13A devices being plugged in is low.....

--
All religions are part of Operation Mind****: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mind****