Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 17:37:18 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote

Do you mean a transformer so one side of the mains could be earthed even
on a hot chassis device?
Most test set ups tend to be this way of course, but to do this with the
whole supply to a home would need a very big transformar?

He proposes to do it with the existing substation transformer
and doesnt realise it wont work with that one, essentially
because any of the houses supplied by that substation
can earth one leg due to an earth fault.

So instead of having it ALWAYS possible to get a shock from live, it's not only possible if there's a fault. Better, no?

That's the reason the builder's 110V supply is center
tapped with that center tap earthed, not fully floating.

I saw some builders doing roughcasting on a terrace of council houses. Instead of simply asking one of the tenants to lend them some juice, they had a great big noisy generator running all day. If I'd lived there, I would have had strong words with them and produced an extension cord.

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote

I looked this up, I'm asking the question at the top. The replies don't
seem to be able to agree. Any sensible opinions?

http://electronics.stackexchange.com...e-mains-supply

--
Which is it, is man one of god's blunders or is god one of man's? -- Friedrich Nietzsche