Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dont they sharpen axes at the factory anymore?

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 6:13:44 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 5:58:45 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 10:03:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I bought an inexpensive axe (12" hatchet) at Menards for $12.99. Made by
Yardworks. I mainly bought it for cutting roots on a digging job I'm
doing. I have a costly axe for actually cutting trees and similar uses,
and I dont want to dull that one on roots. This one I just bought dont
seem to bad for the price, has a fiberglass handle with a rubber grip,
but you'd think they would sharpen it.

It came with a piece of rubbery clear protective coating over the blade,
which appears to have been dipped in this stuff. Anyhow, I removed that
protective coating and it's not even close to being sharp. Sure, I can
sharpen it, but that's not a job I enjoy doing. It dont need to be a
precise sharpening job for what I intend to use it for, but the way I
bought it, I doubt it will cut much of anything.

It's probably out of concern for safety. Imagine a big rig full of sharp hatchets being involved in an accident or an Islamic wacko in a store going bonkers and deciding to cut a customer's head off. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wacko Monster

Along those lines, what happened to ice picks? I've looked everywhere and
can't find them anymore. Couple decades ago, every hardware store sold
them. I never used one for ice, but they are very handy for 100 other
uses. I'm talking about the cheap ones with a wooden handle, not the
fancy ones for the ice bucket. I'm thinking in the new America all
the wusses won't sell them because of some notion that they are a deadly
weapon.

I always thought an ice pick was a cotter pin puller. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Picky Monster