Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 22:54:34 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 21:46:51 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:23:54 -0000, Cursitor Doom

wrote:

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:19:27 +0000, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Besides, I've never actually observed a fault where the chassis
becomes
live. The only shocks I've ever had were worn cables on a mower,
touching a switch with wet hands when outside, etc. Now if the
supply
had been isolated, I wouldn't have received a shock.

Naw, you want an RCD for that, mate.

Which wouldn't be needed if they simply removed the earth from the
neutral.

Wrong. You can still get killed with that config.

But in half the number of ways.

Wrong when its done at the substation.

Explain.

That's the reason NO ONE does it like that WORLD WIDE.

There might just be a reason why no one does it that way world wide.

The link I posted originally suggests it may be nothing more tan historic.

Its just plain wrong on that.

The real reason is that the only way it would work
is a ****ing great transformer for each house.

And remember RCDs never used to exist.

Irrelevant to what makes sense now that they do.

RCDs are a nuisance. I would never install one in my house.

You're free to be as stupid as you like. Sooner fools like you die the
better.

240 volts is not usually dangerous.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

And it's ****ing annoying when you get nuisance trips.

**** all get nuisance trips.