Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 22:52:34 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 21:48:17 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:28:36 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 19:37:55 -0000, Cursitor Doom

wrote:

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 16:42:20 +0000, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I looked this up, I'm asking the question at the top. The replies
don't
seem to be able to agree. Any sensible opinions?

http://electronics.stackexchange.com...hy-are-we-not-
always-isolating-the-mains-supply

In repair & testing scenarios, we use isolation transformers to
remove
the Earth reference. It prevents ground loops arising which can
destroy
sensitive test equipment. But an IT won't save you from a belt if
you
somehow manage to bridge directly across it.

No it won't, but it won't make it any worse, it'll be identical.
But
it
does remove the shock from live to ground, which is more likely as
only
one conductor has to be touched.

But the cost of a ****ing great transformer for the entire house
and the losses involved in that don't warrant the tiny increase
safety. Makes more sense to use RCDs and double insulated
smaller appliances instead.

No more transformers required,

Wrong.

simply have the output of the substation not connected to ground.

Wouldn't stop people getting electrocuted.

Yes it would, because the live has no voltage WRT ground anymore.

Wrong when its done at the substation for hundreds of houses.

Explain.

That's the reason NO ONE does it the way you want it done WORLD WIDE.

That's actually LESS wiring.

Wrong again.

Same number of cables coming to each house, count them.

Same number isn't LESS wiring, stupid.

No grounding point required.

That doesn't involve any street wiring.