Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 21:46:51 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:23:54 -0000, Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:19:27 +0000, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Besides, I've never actually observed a fault where the chassis becomes
live. The only shocks I've ever had were worn cables on a mower,
touching a switch with wet hands when outside, etc. Now if the supply
had been isolated, I wouldn't have received a shock.

Naw, you want an RCD for that, mate.

Which wouldn't be needed if they simply removed the earth from the
neutral.

Wrong. You can still get killed with that config.

But in half the number of ways.

And remember RCDs never used to exist.

Irrelevant to what makes sense now that they do.

RCDs are a nuisance. I would never install one in my house.

--
Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button.