Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Isolated mains voltage - why not as standard?

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:20:06 -0000, wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Why do builders have isolating transformers then?

They have transformers at 55 volt per side, so a typical fault would
only give you a 55 volt belt.
It isnt the isolation that is the main safety factor, it is the lower
voltage. I dont think all site transformers are isolating anyway -
bathroom shaver sockets are, but 110V plugs have an earth connection.
Either way, you are only getting 55volts if touching one live and earth,
so should survive getting a belt off one.

And if they were isolated, you'd get no belt at all, so not jump and fall off your ladder.

Anyway, every time I've seen one of those yellow builders transformers for sale, it's referred to as isolating.

--
They have Mother's day for Mother's and Father's day for Father's -- so what do they have for Single Men?
Palm Sunday