Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default "Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 7:30:12 PM UTC-8, rbowman wrote:
On 11/05/2015 11:00 AM, Harry K wrote:
I wonder what the regs are on Log Splitters. multiplying Pi R squared by the rated pump output comes up considerably less than the claimed tonnage on the one I have checked. And that is without deducting the area of the piston rod.

The rod end doesn't matter unless there is some back pressure in the
return line. Then you'd need to deduct that pressure acting on the annulus.

I don't know anything about log splitters other than those that resemble
an ax but I wonder if it's some sort of marketing concept like 'tons per
square inch exerted by the face of the wedge'.

The rod end does matter. Given a 5" piston with a 1 1/2" rod you loose the pressure on the area covered by the rod.

Harry K