Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Fifteen years, and two hours

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:02:40 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

About fifteen years ago, I put an AC in my living
room window. Some Great Stuff foam around it, and
it was fine for a while.

Started to tilt a bit much, so I put some wood
brace under it. From the AC to the wooden deck.

"You know, ought to put a bracket under that, and
bolt to the trailer wall. The deck and the trailer
shift when frost hits, and the ground heaves."

Well, fifteen years and two hours later, I have
such a bracket. Not sure how long it will hold,
but it's good for now.

Wonder what else I'm delaying?

This evening after 8 years, I finally moved the phone line from the
window to a hole in the floor.

I had had intermittent problems with the interior wiring. The jacks
nearest the indoor phone connection worked, but not some others.

Plus my computer was upstairs and it seemed a good idea to make the
first stop from the NID the computer, so muliple connections wouldn't
lower the speed. So I ran a wire from my office to the bedroom next
to it, out the 2nd floor window, down to the NID. A year later I
tried one more time to fix the interior connections and by golly,
everything was fine. I used that for a couple more years until it
failed again, and this time I switched to the window wire with no
plans to go back.

I was planing to drill a hole through the window frame, but something
must have held me back. A month ago it occurred to me I could drill
through the bedroom floor** and come out in the overhang (the second
floor overhangs the first by 23 inches in the front, by about 14 in
the back.) and it would look better, stay drier, and not flop around
in the wind like it's been doing for 6 years.

**But I actually drilled up from under the overhang. That way I knew
where it would come out outside, but I didn't worry enough about where
it woudl come out inside! I had forgotten about all the boxes on the
far side of the bed, but luckily, I didn't drill into any of them.
Instead the bit came out under the bed! So how was I going to run
the wire down the hole? I thought about moving the bed but there
was no room. Thought about lifting up the mattress and the box spring
to lean against the wall, or against the wall with the window, or the
opposite walls. All bad ideas.

How about crawling under the bed with a flashlight with the mattress
and spring resting on my head? Another bad idea.

So went downstairs, took a 4-foot drill bit, threaded some button-hole
thread through the hole in the stem, and pushed that up the hole. Had
substantial trouble finding the upper hole but when I did, I rested
the drill bit on some vines or the thermometer bracket.

Then went upstairs, lay face down on bed, pulled out a couple feet of
the button-hole thread and tied it to something bigger than the 1/4"
hole, and cut the thread from the bit.

Then downstairs to lower the bit and disconnect the phone wire.

Then upstairs to reel in the phone wire through the window, wrap the
ends together and around the thread, put some tape on the end to make
the thread come out at the point, and then try to push the thing in
the hole in the floor. I couldn't find the hole, even though the
thread led to it. (The thread kept getting twisted around the wire.)

Downstairs again, rolled the extra thread on the spool and left it
dangling.

Upstairs, the weight of the spool was enough to pull in the spare
thread, so I could find the hole in the floor. The 4-conductor wire
is actually smaller than the hole, and without the white sheath, it's
even smaller, and the four wires wrapped together came to a point, and
the tape had barely any thickness, but I still had trouble pushing the
wire through the hole. But i got it and I pushed an inch or two in.

Downstairs again and pulled on the thread to get the wire to come
down. It was stuck at first, but tugging just a little broke it free
and it found and came through the bottom hole easily. Pulled about
10 feet throug, enough to attach to the NID, but needed a foot or two
more to do it right.

Upstairs, again I had to lie face-down on the bed and reach under it
to work, and the wire turned out to be stuck under a box under the
bed, and whenever I lay on the bed, it put much of my weight on the
box so I coudlnt' pull the wire. But from the foot of the bed I was
able to pull it out from the box (it was only under the box because I
pulled from outside.)

So tomorrow I'll pull out another foot or two, close the door to the
NID and caulk the hole in the overhang.

An 8-year project completed.